Una Europa Manifesto
Eight leading European research universities have come together to create a unique alliance – Una Europa: Uniwersytet Jagielloński, Freie Universität Berlin, Alma Mater Studiorum Università di Bologna, University of Edinburgh, Helsingin Yliopisto, KU Leuven, Universidad Complutense de Madrid oraz Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne.
Our universities have been educating Europe for almost 1,000 years. Together, we teach more than 400,000 students. Our combined student and staff community approaches half a million people and our digital learners number in the millions.
Una Europa aims to draw on our collective strengths to create a truly European inter-university environment, a University of the Future.
How do we understand it? This is our Manifesto about the University of the Future.
We believe in a university that is...
1. not a place, but a body of knowledge, ideas, and values, evolving freely beyond borders, mediums and time.
2. the home, therefore the responsibility of its community, namely all the people who share and contribute to its ideals.
3. created by and for society and as such driven to be of relevance, impact and high quality.
4. an open tradition, using the lessons of the past as a fertile ground to grow solutions for the future.
5. a mirror of humanity in all its diversity, reflecting cultures and languages, conventions and distruptions.
6. resolutely independent, shaping its own standards away from the fleeting trends and the impulses of a hasty world.
7. ready to embrace the challenges of this hasty world, whose fate relies on educated citizens.
8. a laboratory of the here and now, where creativity and experimentation unlock the hidden potentials of tomorrow.
9. an intellectual playground, where critical minds can expand to their full aspiration
10. a driving influence, transforming education on a wider scale, shaping Europe's shared future for the better.
What joins and inspires all our partners is tradition and involment in creating the University of the Future, as per our Manifesto.